Lately we've been working on potty training Lola. When she and I are home she is either running around in potty training underwear or nothing at all. She's getting the concept more and more with time and practice, which has been encouraging, but we've definitely have our set backs. I wouldn't say my dreams of having her potty trained before 2 are down the drain yet. We have gotten to the point where she will tell me when she is going potty but if she's wearing a diaper it's either during or directly after the fact. If she's wearing underwear then she tells me as she feels a slight trickle right before she starts stepping in the puddles.
We did find out twice this week that she likes her privacy. She went into two different closets and peed in private. It hasn't all be like that though, we have made some progress for sure. The other morning she told me "poop-poop" and then sat down on the potty chair and went pee. We had a big party over that one for sure.
We did have a very ironic situation on the morning Sam left for Singapore. Lola was running around the house in just a shirt and I was hoping she would help herself sit down on the potty chair and do her business. When the time came she didn't make it to the potty chair and left me a treat on the floor in the kitchen. The first thing I could grab to help with the mess was some paper napkins off the kitchen table. So of course being the sanitary person I am I needed more then just one to pick this thing up so I used three or four. And we all, including Lola, know that poop-poop goes in the toilet so that is where I put it along with the paper napkins. After flushing the toilet I got Lola into the bathroom to clean her up and wash her hands and such. She had just gone potty so I didn't worry about that, I just needed to get her hands washed. While we're washing her hands in the bathroom sink I hear a unfortunate and unwelcome sound. The sound of water spilling over the toilet bowl and onto the floor. Then came the other sound, Lola peeing onto the stool and all over the vanity and the bath-mat. Yikes! By the way, the reason the toilet was spilling over is because it runs and has been running since we moved here. Yes we can make it stop running but we haven't been able to figure out how to communicate well enough with the housing maintenance men who don't speak english why it's running. This is comical in itself because they've been telling us to conserve water but won't fix our toilet.
So I toss Lola into an empty tub, gently of course and then dash to turn off the water to the toilet. I throw some dirty bath towels (washer and dryer are in the bathroom so I had them right there luckily) on the ground to soak up the mess and the go rinse Lola off.
Next I go to get my plunger to fix the problem but then I realize we don't have a plunger because we have never needed one and we've never clogged this toilet so I manage to laugh a little bit knowing that with two grown adults and one 18 month old child living in the same home the baby was the one who clogged the toilet. Now comes the hard part. Calling maintenance and explaining the problem to them over the phone. After waiting for about 30 minutes I get a return call that says they will send someone to fix the toilet around 1pm. Keep in mind that all this craziness when down around 9:30am and I have the bladder of a pregnant woman who drinks her weight in water every day. This is a big problem. So I tell the man on the phone that this is my one and only toilet and that it needs to be fixed now so he says "Oh...okay, someone will be right there." Well to finish this long story they had to take the toilet out of the house and fix it or unclog it or whatever they did and then finally brought it back and flushed it for me a few times to show that it was working and then left. So of course it still runs but its not clogged anymore and I doubt it will be anytime soon that Lola clogs it again.
I'm sure these Japanese men were wondering what on earth we put down the toilet to clog it so terribly but they didn't ask me one thing about it...they just came in without their shoes on and then left again many times until they finally brought the toilet back in unclogged. I don't really care what they were thinking anyway.
4 comments:
Hilarious Jen! I loved hearing this story again. It bears repeating. I can only picture your face and hear your voice. Maybe this is when Lola learned to say, "dang-it"... Also, GREAT PICTURE! good lighting nice and crisp. Good Job.
Jen, I hear every word, well except the japanese men without shoes fixing my toilet. haha.
We've all been there (minus the Japanese men without shoes fixing the toilet, of course). Great story - TFS.
Isn't that just the way it always is! Potty training is such a joy... once it's done. Keep it up, I bet she'll get it soon!
Jill
Post a Comment