"Care of Magical Creatures"
(an evening stroll on the housing base with Sam & Lola)
We saw green trees with swiss cheese leaves and cicada skins hanging from the leaves as if they had been petrified. There weren't any visual signs of these winged bugs but we could barely talk over their song. I wondered if I should cover Lola's ears because it was so loud.
Before we left for our walk we did some reading up on these bugs. There was a bunch of interesting stuff here in Wikipedia.
People all over the world eat cicadas.
They are particular to prime numbers.

We have a large green tree right outside our kitchen window that the cicadas have been living in.
Every morning they sound like a very loud sprinkler.
This is a shell body hanging onto a leaf. I tried to knock if off with my sandal but it was harder to do that I thought. We found the shell body jackpot on this tree. There were at least 10 that I saw after looking for a few seconds.
Before they molt their skin they live in about 1 foot underground for 13 or 17 years. They live by these prime numbers to avoid the life cycles of predators. When it's time to shed they come out, leave their old skins behind and fly away to the tree by my kitchen window.
When you step on an empty shell it crunches like tempura carrot tops.
They look pretty gross but cool at the same time.
I have only seen one cicada flying without it's shell...It flew right by my head so I ducked. I didn't get a good look at it but I can imagine it would have been kinda gross looking.
We saw green trees with swiss cheese leaves and cicada skins hanging from the leaves as if they had been petrified. There weren't any visual signs of these winged bugs but we could barely talk over their song. I wondered if I should cover Lola's ears because it was so loud.
Before we left for our walk we did some reading up on these bugs. There was a bunch of interesting stuff here in Wikipedia.

People all over the world eat cicadas.
They are particular to prime numbers.

We have a large green tree right outside our kitchen window that the cicadas have been living in.
Every morning they sound like a very loud sprinkler.
This is a shell body hanging onto a leaf. I tried to knock if off with my sandal but it was harder to do that I thought. We found the shell body jackpot on this tree. There were at least 10 that I saw after looking for a few seconds.Before they molt their skin they live in about 1 foot underground for 13 or 17 years. They live by these prime numbers to avoid the life cycles of predators. When it's time to shed they come out, leave their old skins behind and fly away to the tree by my kitchen window.
When you step on an empty shell it crunches like tempura carrot tops.
They look pretty gross but cool at the same time.
I have only seen one cicada flying without it's shell...It flew right by my head so I ducked. I didn't get a good look at it but I can imagine it would have been kinda gross looking.
6 comments:
When I first got married, we moved to VA and the 17 year cycle cicadas (called Brood X) came out. There were thousands of them everywhere. They attached to all the trees and buildings, and every time we drove anywhere, we'd hit hundreds on them on our windshield. Their dead bodies and shells littered the sidewalk near our house. Hopefully you won't experience anything like that... it was seriously the grossest thing I've ever seen!!!!
At least it's not a blast-ended skrewt!
Jen,
Hey I met your sister and brother in law the other day...because yes they are out in Yakama with the ministry that I have been working with this summer. The way amy laughes and talks reminds me of you.
p.s. I loved scrolling through all the pictures of Lola, she is so beautiful.
ewwwww
oh...sick! I clicked on one of the pictures of the cincade and it was so big that I might have bad dreams about it now. It has very scary legs too! I've decided that between the centepedes and the cincade thingys that i'm scared of Japan!
jen
ohhh. :) silly...cicade! no 'n'
:)
Post a Comment