Friday, September 15, 2006

This morning...
I caught this frog on the back deck while I was watering the flowers. It just jumped (like frogs jump) out of the pot I was watering. I then was faced with a decision. I could catch this frog and take a picture of it and post it on the blog or I could just leave it alone and go along with my normal life pattern of never having caught a frog. I've touched a few frogs of course (always concerned about getting warts -Grandpa told me that's how he got his warts) but never caught one myself. I decided this was the day I was going to put my fears aside and catch this frog. So very carefully without squishing the little guy I got him to jump into my hand and then closed it quick around him. I didn't like the feeling of him trying to squirm free but I held on tight and didn't let go. I ran inside the house to get my camera and then took the frog back to the place I found him and proceeded with the following photo shoot. This frog is a real good jumper by the way. He jumped about 2 feet with each hop. I was hoping to get an action shot but he was way to quick for me and the camera. So after the pictures I let him go back to the same place I found him. I didn't give him a name. Any suggestions on a name? Please leave in comment box!



As I tell this account of my morning I am reminded of a large bullfrog I had for a few hours college. I named him Turnpike because my soccer team was staying in a hotel off the Florida turnpike. The other bullfrog that Allison had was named Kissemmee because we were staying in Kissemmee Florida. These two frogs, Turnpike and Kissemmee were friends but rivals. They were also fierce competators. We raced them down the hallway in the hotel. Guess who won? Of course not my frog which is why he stayed in Florida instead of coming back to Oregon with me. But in the end the real loser was Kissemmee. Because of his victory that day, Allison took him back on the plane to Oregon with her where he very shortly died of a broken heart. He missed the soggy ground of the florida swamp. I don't know if Turnpike even realized what he had escaped by losing the race that day but I'd like to think he knew all along. (PS - I found Turnpike in the bushes but had someone else catch him for me.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It just jumped (like frogs jump) out of the pot I was watering"

Well in that case, I suggest, Mary Jane or Doobie.

Anonymous said...

lol at the above comment!