Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Weekend Adventure...

On Friday afternoon our little family packed up our camping stuff, loaded everything onto the bikes, put Queen Lola in her Chariot and hit the road for our very first overnight biking/camping trip! We went to Shirahama Beach (yes, the same beach where I got stung by a jelly fish and bitten by a horse fly) and stayed at the camp ground there. The weather was beautiful...warm and windy with a few clouds. We couldn't have asked for better biking/camping weather and we couldn't have gotten a better baby for the adventure. Our Lola was the perfect "Happy Camper."

Queen Lola packing her Chariot


Lola enjoying the ride

This was the hardest part of the trip, this hill was straight up. (There were a lot of other hard hills but this was the worst) If you look in the background you can see where we came from. The road was straight up that hill. Sam was pulling Lola and I had the BOB trailer so we both had good sized loads.

The beach was about a 10 kilometer ride from our home which was great for us because we don't like to make Lola sit in her Chariot for super long. We've found these shorter hard rides to be perfect for us. Just long enough for her to have a nap and short enough that we don't need to stop to feed her. I think it took us about an hour and half to get to the beach.

Sam & Lola at our campsite on the beach
(That is the BOB trailer and my bike behind Sam)

Camping with a beautiful view

Shirahama's cresent beach



Lola - our Happy Camper



Shirahama Beach in the morning

Sam, making coffee and oatmeal for breakfast
(The best part about sleeping on the ground is knowing you'll get a hot cup of coffee in the morning if it ever comes.)

Here is our camp set up...if you look close you can see Lola playing in the tent.



A shot of the 99 Islands and our return trip on Saturday morning. At this point in the ride we'd done all the hard hills. That was a great feeling. If you know anything about Japan you know that there aren't many flat long stretches of road. Pretty much its up and down and all over the place. It was a lot of work but so much fun.

We really had a wonderful time and can't wait to do it again. After we took this picture we stopped at the Saikai Pearl Resort (you've seen pictures of the Pearl Queen Ship we've taken from there) and had ice cream, I had mango and Sam had vanilla. It was the perfect treat to end our trip. I have a few more fun pictures that I'll post soon but this is good for now. Sorry it's taken me a while to put these up.

1 comment:

Glory Laine said...

It's so good for me to see picture of Japan. I am so ignorant of new worlds. The pictures that I have in my head of Japan are rice patties, bonsai trees, and of course the city part is so technologically advanced that it look like the Jetsons. So to see that some parts look a whole lot like .... Oregon is shocking. I so need to travel more. Anyway thanks for the education.